Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Before Morning by Joyce Sidman; illustrated by Beth Krommes (2016)

Before MorningBefore Morning by Joyce Sidman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Living in the land of perpetual spring and summer, I'm a sucker for books about winter. And even though the winter portrayed in Sidman and Krommes book is an urban winter rather than the rural winter of my childhood and dreams, it still tugged at my heartstrings and made me wistful for snow days and the sound of boots crunching, and the hot smell of hats and gloves. Krommes illustrations (scratchboard and watercolor) and deep and almost luxurious; full of dark and light, almost too busy. It's not a quick read, but meant to be savored (with some hot chocolate and gingerbread, maybe?). Sidman's poem was the clincher for me; it perfectly matches Krommes artwork; the bit at the end "on wishes and invocations" was icing on the cake - or the tophat on the snowman.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers