Monday, December 12, 2016

Christmas Pudding (1932) and Pigeon Pie (1940) by Nancy Mitford

I wasn't as keen on these two Nancy Mitford novels as I was on some of the other books by her that I have read.  Christmas Pudding felt disjointed to me, as if it could never decide who or what it was about, undeveloped, sort of trainer fiction.  Pigeon Pie, I could never quite latch hold of either; it felt more developed, but just not as interesting as I wanted it to be.

Christmas Pudding and Pigeon PieChristmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie by Nancy Mitford
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was not as keen on these two Mitford novels (published together) as I was about other Mitford fiction I have read. Christmas Pudding was the better of the two, but still felt disjointed and lurched about, as if it could never decide what it wanted to be or where it wanted to go (although its well worth sticking through to the end, which was unexpectedly and wickedly funny). Pigeon Pie I wanted to like far, far more than I ended up doing so. Flat as a pancake, and I was glad when I was finished reading it.


View all my reviews


Interesting article:  https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/dec/23/rereading-nancy-mitford-christmas-pudding.  It made me appreciate the book more, but I'm sticking by my review of half-heartedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers