Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Magic Grandfather by Jay Williams (1979)

I don't think this book, which I've held on to since about 1980, has stood the test of time all that well.  It's okay, but I am sure that modern readers of contemporary urban fantasy, Harry Potter-ites, would clamor for more, more, more.  It's too short; the conflict too easily solved; the characters seem underdeveloped.  It's not a mess; rather it is a blandly enjoyable throw away fantasy story.

I forgot how shlubby and unromantic everyone is in the book.  They are all not very likable.

The Magic GrandfatherThe Magic Grandfather by Jay Williams
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Blandly enjoyable urban fantasy story that's too short and somewhat underdeveloped. Ten year olds who long for some magic in their lives, but are at a reading level where Harry Potter is too big of a pill to swallow, would enjoy this.


View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers