Thursday, January 19, 2017

March: Book One by John Lewis; Andrew Aydin & Nate Powell (2013)

This was a book made up of two things I have trouble reading and liking (or even finishing):  memoirs and graphic novels.

I can't name a single memoir I've ever liked.   Sometimes they are drippy, often not well written, and almost always self indulgent.

I can name some graphic novels I've enjoyed, but they are few and far between.  When it comes to comics, I'm more of a comic strip fan first (Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes) and then Disney comics (Uncle Scrooge) and then (begrudgingly) I will read graphic novels.

March: Book One was a National Book Award Winner.  Whatever.  Books win awards all the time that I personally don't like.

Would I flush March down the toilet? No way.

Would I recommend it to others?  Sure.

Would I read Books 2 & 3.  Nope.

John Lewis is a great man, who did great things.  But I thought his comic book was mostly meh.  (he wasn't self indulgent though; also:  I bet dollars for donuts this Andrew Aydin person wrote most if not all of it; it's nice that John Lewis gave him writing credits).


March: Book One (March, #1)March: Book One by John             Lewis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This combined two things I have a hard time reading: graphic novels & memoirs. Therefore: I had a hard time reading it. By "hard time" I mean that the experience wasn't enjoyable. By enjoyable, I mean a book I want to keep on reading and not trying to find another book to read.

Would I flush March down the toilet? No way.

Would I recommend it to others? Sure.

Would I read Books 2 & 3. Nope.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers