Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Emperor of the Eight Islands by Lian Hearn (2016)

Lian Hearn is a prolific writer of novels, but this is actually the first one by her I've ever read.  I really dug her style,  at least in this one, which was almost dispassionate, and reminded me of an old translation of the Grimms or Hans Christian Anderson, giving the book a folklore feel.  It's not a traditional fantasy.  It's part of a trilogy; I'd like to read at least the next book (but not quite yet). Book 1 was Star Wars adjacent; it also reminded me several times of Lord of the Rings.  Biggest complaint:  so many characters that I had some trouble keeping their names straight. 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I really dug the style of this book; the narrative voice was cool and dry, and reminded me of an older translation of the Grimms or Hans Christian Anderson. That created the feeling of folklore that (mostly) lasted for the entire novel. The book is certainly Star Wars adjacent; it had shades of Lord of the Rings too, particularly the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers