Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell (2015)

My last book read in 2016 may end up being one of the best books I read all year long.  Witches of Lychford was a magnificent little novella.  It does read like the episode of a really good television series - and it should, because Paul Cornell wrote for Doctor Who.  That occasionally bothers me in a book - Ready Player One comes to mind - but didn't detract from this at all. That is probably because Paul Cornell is a master at creating characters.   The novella is a short journey for a writer (and reader) to make - yet in those few pages (144 only, to be exact), Cornell creates some moving and memorable characters.  Add a strong, sort of gripping, and slightly creepy plot, and you have a 5 Star in your hot little hands here. Neil Gaiman lovers will love this one.


Witches of LychfordWitches of Lychford by Paul Cornell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The last book I read in 2016 may end up being one of the best I read. Cornell's fantasy novella - I would say urban fantasy, but the setting is more suburban than urban - is one of those books that sends little jolts of pleasure into your brain continually as you read it. You really won't be able to put it down. Cornell's plot is unique and intriguing, gripping, and also a tiny bit scary (I'm easily scared). His characters are masterfully written into life as well. Cornell did all of this in a novella, 144 pages to make these people and this story come to life. He succeeds brilliantly. I loved this book; fans of Neil Gaiman (of which I am one) should love it as well.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers