Monday, February 6, 2017

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (2016)

I sort of devoured this book in two big gulps, reading as much as I could the first time I picked it up, and then finishing it the second time.  The plot, setting and characters are truly unique - I had never heard of anything like this before.  I'm a huge fan of books where children are magically lured or plucked into another world - Narnia, Oz, Alice - so I was really looking forward to reading this.  It's more of a novella than a novel, very short, but McGuire used her limited space quite well.  It didn't totally live up to my expectations (or the hype) - but it was still a good read. Although nominally a fantasy, it reminded me more of am 80s teen slasher movie (for reasons I won't get into to avoid spoilage).

Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I devoured this novella in two rather rushed, big gulps; but the feeding frenzy didn't exactly fill me up. The premise attracted me - I'm a fan of Narnia, Oz, Alice - and the hype (awards!) drew me in as well. It's a novella rather than a novel, and McGuire put the limited space to good use. But its a good read rather than a great read; I would recommend it, but not heartily.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers