Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach; narrated by Emily Woo Zeller (2013)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Perhaps not everything you ever wanted to know about what happen from mouth to ass but (no pun intended) Roach includes enough details laced with humor about food, the tongue, the throat, the stomach, the intestines, and good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon shit and farts to keep you laughing, grossed out, and engaged the entire way through. I'm no scientist, but I do know Mary Roach is considered one of the best, most accessible, (and funniest) science writers out there. This is the first of her books I've experienced, and it will not be the last. Emily Woo Zeller was a great narrator - I did the audio version of this - only her English accent left me cringing. Other than that, for now (at least) Mary Roach sounds like Emily Woo Zeller in my head. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers