Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Crosstalk by Connie Willis (2016)

CrosstalkCrosstalk by Connie Willis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I shudder about this, but I'm going to give a Connie Willis book a less-than-stellar review. Something was missing. It seemingly had all of what Willis known for: small details, quirky characters, a mystery (of sorts); some cleverly shocking plot points a la The Sixth Sense. It also has an interesting premise (it reminded me a lot of Inside Job). Perhaps it was the "rom com"ishness of the book that has thrown me for a loop? (Although that's not a genre I usually have strong feelings about). It definitely took a long time for this engine to get up and go, but once it did, I have to admit, I couldn't put it down. Yet it took most of the book for this to actually happen; a lot of revving of the engine before I became invested in the characters and started to care about what was going to happen to them. I did like them by the end (that was hard, because the main character, at least to me, was so very unlikable). But that pleasant feeling I usually get when I sigh and put down a Connie Willis just wasn't there this time.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers