Friday, April 14, 2017

Pompeii by Robert Harris; narrated by John Lee (2003)

I read this book once before; I'm downgrading my review considerably.  On Goodreads, I had called this book "excellent" and marked it as "fiction I have loved" - but I think the auditory experience wasn't kind to Robert Harris's Pompeii.  I thought the plot was ridiculous in a disaster movie kind of way.  When Time Ran Out was this volcano disaster movie from 1980 (I had to Wikipedia the title) and all I could think of while I listened to John Lee narrate was Pat Morita of Happy Days fame falling into a lava pit.  The plot is remarkably similar, and that's not a good thing.  Harris hit all the tropes of the disaster movie; all that's missing is Shelley Winters.  Titanic came to mind several times too.  Why we needed a cheeseball love interest was beyond me, other than the fact that sometimes authors write books with movies in mind, and having Pompeii as a backdrop to a cheeseball love story makes a pretty film treatment.  I read this book before I blogged, so I have no idea why I liked it so much, but this time around, I was overwhelmed by underwhelmingness.  John Lee made several characters sound like Jason Statham, which drove me nuts too.


PompeiiPompeii by Robert   Harris
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read this book once before; I'm downgrading my review considerably. I previously had marked this book "excellent" and as "fiction I have loved" - but I think the auditory experience wasn't kind to Robert Harris's Pompeii. I thought the plot was ridiculous in a disaster movie kind of way. When Time Ran Out was this volcano disaster movie from 1980 (I had to Wikipedia the title) and all I could think of while I listened to John Lee narrating was Pat Morita of Happy Days fame falling into a lava pit. The plot is remarkably similar, and that's not a good thing. Harris hit all the tropes of the disaster movie; all that's missing is Shelley Winters.


View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers