Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli (2014)

The Watermelon SeedThe Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you are a younger brother or sister, an older sibling - probably a brother - maybe told you if you swallowed a watermelon seed (or any other type of seed) that said seed would sprout and grow inside of you (I was the eldest brother; I'm sure some older neighbor enlightened me at some point, and then I in-turn told my younger siblings). The premise of this book is that a young crocodile loves to eat watermelon more than anything else (because: why not?), and then he (she? that is one of the many nice things about this book) swallows a seed and imagines the horrible result. I immediately went to the trickery of siblings (and older neighbors) -- although I will admit, the 70s were a different time to be a child. Terrific illustrations (watermelon colored!) accompany a short, fun to read (aloud) story; another famous seed The Carrot Seed has a similar comic/cartoonish feel; Ed Emberley sort of draws inspiration from this artist's well too.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers