Friday, June 16, 2017

Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco & Lauren Oyler (2017)

I don't like memoirs.  I can't think of one I've ever liked.  They are mostly unbelievable.  The more honest they get, the more unbelievable they are to me.

Alyssa Mastromonaco was on Fresh Air with Terry Gross.  Maybe Terry Gross should have been the ghost writer.  Because the interview was far, far more interesting than the book.

Lots of things lately have made me miss the Obamas (pictures of them dancing with C3PO and R2D2; every thing His Grand Poobah of Orangeness and his Cronies and Family says and does).  This, however, was not one of them.  It's heavy on the memoir and light on the work in the White House.

Perhaps there are still too many confidential things that can't be put in the book.  Then wait.

Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White HouseWho Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I will preface this with: I don't like memoirs. I really don't. I can't think of one memoir I've ever liked. If I'd known how "memoir-ish" this book was going to be, I would not have picked it up. I heard Mastromonaco talking with Terry Gross on NPR, and it was such a fascinating interview. Alas, perhaps Terry Gross should have written this book. Lots of things lately have made me miss the Obamas (pictures of POTUS and FLOTUS dancing with C3PO and R2D2; every single thing His Grand Poobah of Orangeness and his Cronies and Family says and does). This, however, was not one of them. It's heavy on the memoir and light on the work in the White House. Perhaps there is still too much classified information that can't yet be written. Then I say: wait.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers